Hotmail email accounts are the easiest and most hacked email service provider. You should be aware that your Hotmail email account is easily hacked. Just recently, 10,000 Hotmail email accounts have been hacked, and all 10,000 accounts have been publicly listed online with all the name and passwords of the account. According to Microsoft, the owners of Hotmail, stated that the causes of the email hacks was due to a phishing scheme. Basically what this means is that the name and passwords were stolen through an email that allows it to steal your password. You can prevent your hotmail account from being hacked by following these simple steps:
1. Do not login your Hotmail account in any public computer or internet café. These computers are a haven for hackers, because they allow programs to run in the background without you knowing to steal your password. Also, most public computers do not have any anti-virus software at all, so viruses have easy access to your computer leaving you in risk to attack.
2. Don’t have simple or single word passwords. Passwords that are simple or have passwords less than 11 characters can easily be hacked. This is because they can be brute force hacked by cycling through a large dictionary to get into your email account. So when creating your password, make sure it is at least 11 characters long and mix it up with numbers. For instance, hu87hs65hna. Make sure you remember it!
3. Don’t use the same password twice. If they somehow do get your password, all of your other accounts, such as your bank account can be hacked with the same password.
4. Passwords should be ideally changed monthly. If someone somehow gets your account, you can stop them in their tracks straight away when you change monthly.
5. Use anti-virus software such as McAfee or Norton’s Security to protect yourself from virus. Some virus can capture your password, so these preventions are a good measure.
6. Don’t have passwords visible anywhere on your computer. If you have your account name and password all in one word file, you are susceptible for your password to be stolen. Keep it private!